ZONA CANAL DE PANAMA

(PANAMA CANAL ZONE)     1904 – 1999

Flag_of_Panama_Canal_Zone.svg

La Zona del Canal de Panamá fue una colonia de los Estados Unidos enclavada en Panamá, que consistía en el canal de Panamá, tierras, aguas y aires circundantes. Tenía un área de 1.432 km² y se extendía a 8,1 km a cada lado del canal (se excluían las ciudades de Panamá y Colón, que parcialmente se encontraban en ese rango). Las fronteras de esta colonia dividían Panamá en dos partes, y fueron creadas el 18 de noviembre de 1903 con la firma del Tratado Hay-Bunau Varilla.

Seal_of_the_Panama_Canal_Zone.svg

ESCUDO ZONA DEL CANAL.

Desde 1904 hasta 1979 el territorio fue controlado por los Estados Unidos, que construyeron y financiaron el Canal. Debido a los hechos acontecidos en el Día de los Mártires, el 9 de enero de 1964, que reclamaban el retorno de la Zona del Canal a la República de Panamá, mediante los Tratados Torrijos-Carter firmados en 1977, comenzó la descolonización del territorio en 1979 y se convirtieron en las Áreas Revertidas del Canal de Panamá, una zona de soberanía compartida entre EE. UU. y Panamá. Gradualmente, dichas áreas serían transferidas a la República de Panamá. La última bandera estadounidense fue arriada en Balboa en la Nochevieja de 1999.

general harold parfitt

ULTIMO GOBERNADOR GENERAL HAROLD PARFITT.

Durante el control estadounidense de la Zona del Canal, el territorio al margen del mismo Canal, fue usado principalmente para fines militares; sin embargo existían aproximadamente 3.000 civiles estadounidenses que vivían como residentes permanentes. El uso militar dado por los estadounidenses cesó cuando el territorio fue traspasado a control panameño, al igual que se retiraron los estadounidenses que habitaban el área. Actualmente el territorio es usado para fines comerciales, industriales y turísticos.

1957-1-dollar-banknote

EL DOLAR U.S.A. FUE LA MONEDA DE CURSO LEGAL EN LA ZONA DEL CANAL.

 

medio dolar 1950

MONEDA DE 50 CENTAVOS – 1950.

 

18328727-PANAMA-CANAL-ZONE-CIRCA-1960-A-stamp-printed-in-Panama-Canal-Zone-shows-Ancon-II-liner-circa-1960--Stock-Photo

SELLO DE LA ZONA DEL CANAL.

The Panama Canal Zone (Spanish: Zona del Canal de Panamá) was an unincorporated territory of the United Statesfrom 1903 to 1979, centered on the Panama Canal and surrounded by the Republic of Panama. 

accion-canal-1886

ACCIONES DE LA EMPRRESA CONSTRUCTORA DEL CANAL.

The zone consisted of the canal and an area generally extending five miles (8.0 km) on each side of the centerline, excluding Panama City and Colón, which otherwise would have been partly within the limits of the Zone. Its border spanned three of Panama’s provinces. When reservoirs were created to assure a steady supply of water for the locks, those lakes were included within the Zone.

8177425_orig

TRABAJADORES DEL CANAL.

On February 26, 1904, the Isthmian Canal Convention was proclaimed. In it, the Republic of Panama granted to the United States in perpetuity the use, occupation, and control of a zone of land and land under water for the construction, maintenance, operation, sanitation, and protection of the canal. 

15 agosto 1915

CEREMONIA DE INAUGURACION EL 15 DE AGOSTO DE 1915.

From 1903 to 1979 the territory was controlled by the United States, which had purchased the land from the private and public owners, built the canal and financed its construction. The Canal Zone was abolished on October 1, 1979, as a term of the Torrijos–Carter Treaties of 1977; the canal itself was under joint U.S.–Panamanian control from 1979 until it was fully turned over to Panama on December 31, 1999.

protesta en 1964

REVUELTA DE ESTUDIANTES PANAMEÑOS EN LA ZONA DEL CANAL – 1964.

The treaty was approved by the provisional Panamanian government on December 2, 1903, and by the US Senate on February 23, 1904. Under the treaty, Panama received US$10 million, much of which the United States required to be invested in that country, plus annual payments of US $250,000; with those payments made, as well as for the purchase of the French company assets. 

33609436adc4ef39b3f85ceea8815538

PASO DEL U.S.S HOUSTON POR EL CANAL.

The Canal Zone was formally turned over by Panama on May 4, 1904, when American officials reopened the Panama City offices of the canal company and raised the American flag. This marked the beginning point for U.S. excavation and construction which concluded in August 1914 with the opening of the canal to commercial traffic.

37085_800x600_crop_53e172b23e298

TRASPASO DE LA SOBERANIA DEL CANAL AL GOBIERNO DE PANAMA.

Proposals for a canal across the Isthmus of Panama date back to 1529, soon after the Spanish conquest. Álvaro de Saavedra Cerón, a lieutenant of conquistador Vasco Núñez de Balboa, suggested four possible routes, one of which closely tracks the present-day canal. Saavedra believed that such a canal would make it easier for European vessels to reach Asia. Although King Charles I was enthusiastic and ordered preliminary works started, his officials in Panama soon realized that such an undertaking was beyond the capabilities of 16th-century technology.

Canal-Zone


 

OTRAS DE MIS WEBS

CEUTA DESCONOCIDA: http://www.ceutadesconocida.wordpress.com

Anuncios